February 11, 2012

Day 82

The Happy: Bee's back
Dreamgirl in the middle.
Let me tell you about Blythe Beecroft aka Bee.  I met her at church when I came to mack on a guy at the ripe age of 13, because I was under the false impression that that was okay.  She was probably wearing pearls.  This wasn't the beginning of our friendship, it was just where we met.  Over time, between camp, mutual friends, church functions, etc., I came to know her as the girl that everyone loved - sweet to the bone is what she was.  We had a nice time together and always laughed, but I think the day I realized this girl would hold true to the title of Best Friend
for my life remaining was when she told me, matter-of-factly, "I (speaking of herself) have nice legs."
Those who know her well are laughing.  Right now.
I don't know if I could ever top that for most-out-of-character-thing-to-say.  Maybe if I was like "What?? I don't like mirrors..." I'd get close.  She would drop this line on me every once in a while, and then laugh ashamedly, because she felt like she was getting away with something big.  Vanity and Bee don't even begin to cross each other.  That's why this was such a daring and epic move on her part.
This is going to be a long post.
I was wondering if I should divulge the fact that we hold hands during movies...it just demonstrates how grossly comfortable I am with her.  
Soothing.  That's the word.  I find her soothing.
Furthermore, I find her classy.  Growing up, I was always obsessed with boys, and I mean she knew what a boy was, but she wasn't boy-crazy, though they adored her.  This I liked, because it helped me simmer down.  Something about her manner always made it clear to me that whatever it was we were doing, she was doing it better.  Better, because she knew the limits, and that made her cool to me.

  Truthfully, I think I was alright, but I wouldn't have wanted to be my own friend in high school, and I didn't really know why she'd want to be mine.  Still though, I never once felt looked down upon by her.  Just soo loved, so so so loved.  My favorite memories of her include walks through the cute streets of Kentlands in our ribbons, pink polos and lacrosse shorts, getting Saturday crepes, one particular treacherous trek to Chipotle in a snow storm with winds that could knock trees over, the little walkway by the side of her house that led to Midtown, our tradition of jumping in the disgusting lake whose floor we were terrified to touch, sleeping over on school nights to have her mom's french toast, and loving Jane Austin.  
It was just so much fun being her friend.

That explains why I bawled my eyes out in front of a crowd last night at Kate Magleby's party.  It was the first time I'd seen Blythe in about two years (she's been gone serving a mission for our church).  I can't even explain what it was like to turn around and see her standing there like it was no big deal.

I'm so sappy, but Blythe is the best of the best of the best.  I'm glad I wrote this, even if it took an hour, because I always want to remember how much I love that girl.  Maybe Blair's awake now, she slept over.

Love, Happy Girl

No comments: